Formal recruitment is right around the corner and you are undoubtedly starting to feel lots of excitement, but it’s absolutely normal to feel a bit nervous, too. Of course you want to make a good impression on all the chapters and find out which one is the best fit for you, but remember not to put too much pressure on yourself. In order to help you get the best out of your recruitment experience, we put together a list of tips to keep in mind as you begin on your journey:
- Be yourself! The women you talk to are genuinely interested in getting to know the real you, so let them know who you really are. The more true you stay to yourself, the more likely you are to find women who you really relate to.
- Relax. No need to freak out, everything will work out how it is supposed to. The more relaxed you are, the easier it is to be your amazing self!
- Ask questions. Be honest and voice any questions or concerns you have. We want to make your experience the best it can be, so help us help you!
- Keep the experience your own. It is so easy to get caught up in the excitement of recruitment and spill to your best friend about which chapters you both fell in love with, but try as hard as you can to keep your feelings to yourself for those three days. Every woman’s recruitment experience is unique to her and you don’t want someone else’s experience to influence your decisions. Trust your gut and do what feels right for you!
- Keep an open mind. Forget everything you think you know about sororities in general and about the individual chapters. Greek life provides many women from all different organizations with life-changing experiences and opportunities. Also be assured that there is no “bad” chapter on this campus. All six, and soon to be seven, sororities at SLU are truly wonderful and it’s all about finding which one is the best fit for you.
- Utilize your recruitment counselors. They are there to help you, so use them! They have been through this before and can offer great advice!
- TRUST THE PROCESS!! Things might not (and probably will not) go as planned, but just trust that everything happens for a reason. Many women before you have gone through this and it has led many of them to their home, whether they realized it at the time or not.
- Enjoy! At the end of the day, recruitment is supposed to be fun! It’s not all about trying to join a sorority, but also about learning about yourself and making friends. No matter what the outcome is, at the end of the day, you will have gotten to enjoy this incredible experience and will have met many wonderful women.
If you keep these things in mind, hopefully you will get the most out of your recruitment experience. We are so excited to meet you and wish you the best of luck! See you soon!
The Women of Kappa Alpha Theta